There has been a lot of talk over the last 2-3 years about a legitimate plan to get people off the streets when inclement weather hits Arkansas. There’s been talk amongst LR city officials, churches, and other homeless service agencies and organizations. Yet winter is close again and nothing has been done. So a few of us are acting. An effort to create an actual plan is being made by The Van in partnership with Canvas Community Church, The 10/20 Project, and DRB Legacy Outreach, Inc. – SOAR Network.
This is a huge undertaking and we’re going to need a lot of help to pull it off. Here are some ways that we are looking for people to help:
- SITES – Locations to provide temporary shelter when inclement winter weather hits central Arkansas. Ideally, we need a place in SWLR and a place in downtown that could commit to opening their doors. We are strongly encouraging churches to consider partnering in this way. We’re partnering with all kinds of churches so don’t be afraid to join the party! First Pres Argenta has committed to taking in families and Levy Church of Christ has committed to help special needs during times of non-inclement weather. We are working to have everything worked out so that all you would need to do is open the doors. We’d cover the rest, all the way to cleanup when the weather clears. If interested, contact us by clicking here.
- STAFFING – Volunteers to work shifts at site locations, cook meals, provide security, and process orders of needs in our warehouse. If you’d like to get on an email list that we will use to contact volunteers when the time comes and as we prepare, shoot us an email with your info and how you’d like to help at firstname.lastname@example.org
- FOOD/MEALS – We need to start stockpiling food now. #10 cans of veggies, noodles, rice, dry beans, frozen meats. Food trucks that would be willing to brave the elements and come help us with some meals would be amazing. Restaurants that would like to pitch in would also be huge. Everything given will be tax deductible. You can drop off donations at our warehouse (8016 Faulkner Lake Rd, NLR 72117) or contact us by clicking here.
- DRIVES – One really huge way that ANYONE can help is to organize a drive. We are going to be needing tons of in-donations such as cots, blankets, pillows, pillow cases, socks, gloves, underwear, cleaning supplies, toilet paper, coats, chap stick, etc. Hit up your family/friends/coworkers/church/club/or anyone else. Throw a party! Organize a fundraiser. Then just give us a shout and we’ll work out getting the stuff to the warehouse. Easiest way anyone can help.
- FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS – If you’d like to help monetarily to cover fuel or any other specific needs that arise through this process, you can do that by clicking here. Donations are tax deductible.
Thank you to everyone for always supporting this work. This community is so amazing and really knows how to show people love.